Tuesday, June 9, 2009

More Excitement

Well, I am just full of drama these days, aren't I?

After a little bit of spotting over the weekend, I put in a call to the doctor to find out if anything might be wrong. She said that on my ultrasound she could see a tiny separation between the uterus and the placenta (a subchorionic hemorrhage). This is pretty common and usually goes away as the placenta gets bigger, but since I was having the spotting, she wanted to start me on progesterone injections until I'm out of the first trimester. They would administer the first one, but I could do them myself after that. Yikes!!

The nurse showed me how to fill the syringe and then how to find the injection site. Now, normally I don't watch when I get a needle stick, but I made myself this time so I could do this myself or tell Peter how to do it. As soon as the needle went in, I got tunnel vision and felt all the blood drain from my face. I was going to faint!! I held on until the nurse was done with the injection before sitting down heavily in the chair and putting my head down. It was a close call. Needless to say I missed some of the important details for Peter to do the injection next time! Luckily there are directions all over the internet so I think we'll manage.

Today was much less eventful and we're feeling a lot more comfortable about everything. We'll be giving me my first shot next Monday (they're weekly) so that will be interesting but for now we're a lot more relaxed!

No comments:

Post a Comment