Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Great News

I'll be back a little later with our new ultrasound pictures, but I just had to get our great news out there! Our 2nd round of tests came back and our risk of Down's Syndrome dropped to 1 in 5000!! The doctor was amazed, he had to go back and make sure he'd recorded the original results correctly because it was such a drastic change. Thank you to everyone who kept us in your prayers!

We also had an amazing ultrasound this morning. They showed us all the tiny bones (the ribs and fingers are my favorites), the heart and blood flow, the fluid in the stomach that proves the baby is processing fluid, and we even got to see the mouth open and close to swallow. The organs all look great, and the brain and spine, too. The doctor kept saying everything looked "stone cold normal."

The best part was watching the baby move around. The ultrasound tech kept saying, wow, this little one is really active! When she was trying to get a recording of the heartbeat, she'd get the start of it and then the baby would wiggle out of the way. Little rascal! It also took a long time to get the baby to roll so they could see its spine, and required lots of jiggling my belly and getting me to turn this way and that.

We reminded the tech and the doctor that we don't want to know the sex, so they told us when to look away, and then confirmed that yes, it's either a boy or a girl! We got a DVD of the whole ultrasound but we'll have to be careful when we watch it in case we can find out by accident. If I can get it edited to a good clip I'll share it here.

What a relief! There are of course still problems that could arise but for now everything is looking really good and healthy. And as you'll see when I get the pictures up, our baby is quite a cutie already!

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it so cool to see the baby on ultrasound? We only had one at 10 weeks, one at 20 weeks, and then a 3D ultrasound at 22 weeks (as a Mother's Day gift for our moms). I kinda wish we could have had more, but my doctor will only do more than that if there's a suspected problem. I'm so glad for you that things are going well. I can't wait to see your pictures and video!

    ReplyDelete